Saturday 21 July 2012

The Bookworm in Me #10


I'm almost embarrassed to admit this but at the grand old age of 18, I have never fully read the Harry Potter series, which is kind of strange since most of the people my age have already read all the books.
I remember my dad buying me the first book when I was younger, and after several futile attempts to read it, I gave up. I don't know why I didn't stick with it, but I remember reading the first few chapters and just forgetting about it.
What's even weirder is, I also have the fourth and fifth book, the latter being a present from my parents on my 9th birthday. My friends used to always talk about the series and make jokes about the books, which I would normally just laugh nervously at.

So, at the start of the year I finally picked up Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone for the umpteenth time and I'm proud to say, I made my way through the entire book without getting bored with it or forgetting about it.
I picked up the second and third book at my local charity shop and read through them with gusto and after taking a break from reading due to exams, I've just finished the Order of the Phoenix (it's only taken me 9 years!)
I'm waiting on the last two to be delivered to my house and it's a bit of a shame that I've ruined the plot somewhat by watching the films first. Nevertheless, I finally understand why the series was as popular as it was/is, something I failed to recognise when I was younger. I only wished that I had stuck with it to begin with.

The last blog post expressed my frustration and boredom now school is over, but now I've reignited the bookworm in me. Whilst waiting on those Harry Potter books to get to me, I guess I'll continue reading about Precious Ramotswe in Botswana.

No comments: